Monday, September 13, 2010

Finally a new post!!!

So I caved into the peer pressure, getting this blog set up and all that... and then I never used it... NO MORE!!! Now I will blog and blog and blog till my fingers explode from all the mindless blogging! Stand back world! Here comes more ART OF THE JONSTER.....STER............STER..............STer................................ster..........................................ster......

I was playing through Final Fantasy VI again and I was just getting super-nostalgic about how good this game was and still is. It got me thinking that I’d like to try animating some parts of it in my free time when I’m not animating for school. I’ve never actually been one to do fan art/animation, but I love that story so much, I think it’d be fun, so I started drawing the characters to see how they’d look in my style starting with Terra.

I tried to incorporate a mixture of Amano’s original design along with Tetsuya Nomura’s design from Dissidia. In Amano’s original artwork Terra is blonde and they keep it that way in the CGI cutscenes they made for Final Fantasy Anthology and Tetsuya Nomura also made her blonde for Dissidia, but I decided to keep the Super Nintendo sprite’s green hair for a few reasons. Besides it just being pretty unique it also differentiates her from the other main female character in the game, Celes Chere who’s also blonde and looks pretty similar facially. Also when I draw her full body later the green compliments her red clothes extremely well.

In Amano’s illustrations he doesn’t color Terra’s skin, so she appears pale almost giving her a goth-like feel which I like, so I made her (and subsequently the other characters) paler than I usually would with Caucasians… but I was a little too pussy to go all the way lol.

Next up is everyone’s favorite lunatic, clown…. well after the Joker… and maybe It… Kefka! I once again merged Amano and Nomura’s designs and added a bit of the design from the Final Fantasy Anthology cutscene. One thing about Nomura’s design that I didn’t decide to use, is the purple lips. I think the red just works better… can’t really say why… but now that I think about it, I may use purple in the future just to differentiate him from the other clown prince of crime.

1 comment: